Posted October 11th, 2007 04:25 AM IP
Hello there! to the EXCOBOARD.com support forums! the very wise staff and cordial volunteers would generously like to begin helping you out as soon as possible, so following the friendly suggestions listed below will increase your chances of receiving the answers to your questions much more quickly and efficiently.
1. The forum is not manned 24/7 so you may want to consider reading the F.A.Q. if there is no one here to help you right away. You can also perform a Search for previous messages regarding the same issue you have. Another option is exploring Forum Archives
2. Post in the appropriate forum. By posting a support question in the test area will not get you a quick response. (mods will move posts where necessary)
3. Please label your threads accordingly. The title of your thread should be specific to the problem. Vague and generic subject lines such as "help me" or "another question" should be avoided because they are often overlooked by those who attempt to help. (mis marked threads are especially useless once they fall into Forum Archives)
4. Explain the situation clearly and concisely in your post using proper grammar and spelling whenever possible. (typos are expected now & then, but excessive amounts of chat-speak can get confusing) Including the full URL to your board is a great way for us to assess what's happening on your board. If it is a private board and you prefer not to post the url, you can send it via pm. It is often necessary to have a look at your board in order to get an accurate idea of what may be causing your problem.
5. Always exercise patience before bumping because many of us are in different time zones. If none of the volunteers are able to provide assistance then contacting Peter (the EXCOBOARD developer) would be the next logical step. include a screenshot if you can.
6. Avoid typing a complete message in capital letters using all uppercase letters can be thought of as yelling. Excessive exclamation points usually won't speed things up, and being rude and demanding won't either.
7. List everything you've already tried. that way we can skip right to the solution you'll need.
8. Please try to keep "support" topics ON TOPIC... ie, unhijacked. It is extremely frustrating having to trawl through posts in order to find a response to a support issue. There is a *General* forum where admins get together and have some light hearted fun.
Other points of interest:
- T.O.S. policy
- Privacy statement
- Server 1 Board Directory
- Server 2 Board Directory
- Server 3 Board Directory
A few popular threads, listed alphabetically:
- Can Someone Explain Traceroutes?
- Complete List Of Variables Used On EXCOBOARD
- Contactng Peter
- Extended F.A.Q.
- Image Hosting
- Safe Shout Boxes For EXCOBOARD
- Script Index
- SEO Tools
- Smilies, Smileys, And More Smiles
- Tutorial Index
- Where Can I?
- Wish List (features)
- Wish List (scripts)
Some often asked general Q & A:
- Can I Center My Banner/Logo? Click For Answer
- Can I Mass E-mail Members? Click For Answer
- Do Guidelines Apply To Show Off? Click For Answer
- How Are Forum Archives Enabled? Click For Answer
- May I Disable/Alter The Flood Control? Click For Answer
- What Exactly Do Moderators Do? Click For Answer
- Why Aren't My Smilies Working? Click For Answer
- What's Wrong With My Views Column? Click For Answer
There is a lot of information at your fingertips which will help you create a great board.
NB. ALWAYS BACK UP ALL YOUR TEMPLATES BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO DO ANY ALTERATIONS. HAVING A TEST BOARD TO MESS AROUND ON IS A VERY GOOD IDEA TOO.
Remember this message was generated in order for you to better help us help you.
These guidelines have been compiled using useful information and tips posted by various members of support. Thanks to EVERYONE who has taken time to add tutorials, scripts and all the material that is here, and to all of you who come here to help. Support would not be what it is without your input. The information in this particular topic was gathered by Anti Paul. It has been edited to add appropriate information relevant to this.